Monday, January 3, 2011

Tax Changes for 2011

You may have heard by now that the IRS is not sending out paper booklets this year. The number of people filing online increases every year, so the IRS is saving money and paper by not automatically mailing out forms and instructions.

If you want paper IRS forms, how can you get them?
  • Print them from Click "Forms and Publications" on the left side of the screen, then choose either "Form and Instruction Number" or "Publication Number." If you do not know which form or publication you need, you can use the search box in the upper right of the screen.
  • Call 1-800-829-3676. The IRS may be willing to mail you copies if you ask. Availability may be limited.
  • Try your local library or post office. Many of them will have forms and instructions, and the library staff should be willing to help you make printouts from the IRS website.
For some basics on using the IRS website, check out this previous blog post.

Many states are also changing their mailing procedures, so check with your state's revenue department to see whether or not you'll be getting paper copies.

For assistance with your taxes, check at your local senior center or public library. The AARP has a resource locator; just be aware that it may not be active until February. Most places that give free assistance do so starting in February and going through April 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment