Thursday, April 1, 2010

Travel

I was going to do a post on online travel sites, mostly aggregators like Expedia or farewatchers like Kayak. Then I saw an article on washingtonpost.com, listing over 50 websites. It was written in 2008 so it's not brand new, but as far as I can tell the sites are still active. Besides the usual booking and guidebook sites, the article also covers tools such as currency conversion and wifi hotspots. Of course there are other websites out there, but these ones will get you started.

Any travel tips to add? Feel free to leave them in the comments. I'll put my own out there:

  1. Even if you use Expedia or something similar, I like to double-check with the airline itself to make sure the flights listed are really at the price given. I prefer to book with each airline/hotel/car rental company instead of through an aggregator for peace of mind in case anything goes wrong (it can be difficult to get a refund if you've used a second party), but perhaps things have improved over the years.
  2. HomeAway is another place to look for vacation rentals.
  3. To track flights online, you can try the individual airport's website, or you can search Google for "flight tracker." There are several out there, including FlightStats and FlightView.

No comments:

Post a Comment