Saturday, September 26, 2009

Welcome!

As a public librarian, I've helped countless people over the years search the Internet and find information. I want to expand my audience and help people from anywhere get more out of the world wide web. I might choose a topic or I might focus on a certain site. I also want to know what needs my readers have, so email me or leave a comment and I'll help out as best as I can.

I want to keep the focus on the open Internet. That means I won't be explaining how to use sites you have to register for or pay for, at least for the most part. Some sites allow you to use certain parts without signing up, so if that applies to a topic I'm writing about, I might mention that. That also means if you ask a question, try to keep the subject broad or the website large enough to appeal to a wide range of users.

I might also recommend books (such as for using eBay) or your local library. Especially for genealogy questions, your local library really is the best resource. Chances are the librarian knows all about local information and most likely you can access electronic resources, both inside the library building and from home.

So poke around, use the list of labels to find posts on certain topics, and if you need help, just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment